Spanish Wells

Bahamas

swellstranquility@gmail.com

Tel: +1-242-559-3181

 

© 2019 by M.L. Enders Design for Vacation Time Rentals. 

  • Facebook Clean
  • Instagram Clean
BOOK YOUR VACATION NOW

SPANISH WELLS

1/6

The Adventure

ENJOY AN INTIMATE STAY ON A SMALL, TROPICAL ISLAND

Just to the west of the northern tip of the island of Eleuthera is St. George’s Cay. The entire cay, or island, is comprised of the settlement of Spanish Wells, and as a result the name Spanish Wells has become synonymous with the island. In fact, many have never heard it referred to by any other name.

Spanish Wells is approximately two miles long and a half of a mile wide. The scope of Spanish Wells is extended, however, by a bridge that links it to neighboring Russell Island, which is just over three miles long and has become an integral part of the community. Spanish Wells is so small that many residents get around the island using golf carts instead of full-sized cars.

The first colonists were the Eleutheran adventurers from Bermuda (intending to be some of the first settlers of Eleuthera), who suffered shipwreck on a reef, known as the "Devil's Backbone" off Eleuthera in 1647. After living in a cave known as "Preacher's Cave" on Eleuthera, they ended up at Spanish Wells. Among other, later, groups of settlers were Crown loyalists, who left the United States after the American Revolutionary War. Historically, the island was used as a last stop for Spanish ships returning to Europe, where these ships refilled their water supply from wells created for this purpose - thus the English name of the settlement: Spanish Wells.

Spanish Wells is predominantly a fishing village, and is rightly referred to as the fishing capital of The Bahamas, the chain of islands of which it is a vital part. The main catch harvested from the sea by the fishermen is the Bahamian lobster, or crawfish as it is referred to by the islanders.